You are here

Frequently Asked Questions: Fees

  • What documents require a filing fee?
  • Is there a fee for filing a motion or obtaining a summons?

    Typically, no. But if you file a motion that is not associated with a local case, you must pay a $49 miscellaneous filing fee.

  • How much is a witness fee?

    The fee for a witness to attend a federal court proceeding is $40 a day and $0.575 a mile.

  • What forms of payment does the clerk's office accept?

    The clerk's office accepts cash (in the exact amount only; the clerk's office cannot make change), cashier's checks, certified bank checks, and money orders. Except for payment on a criminal debt or registry, the clerk's office also accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. The clerk's office does not accept personal checks. A law firm may pay by check payable to "Clerk, United States District Court." The clerk's office does not accept credit card payments by telephone. The name on a credit card presented at the clerk's office must match the name of the person presenting it.

    Payments for criminal debt, such as special assessments, fines, and restitution, can be made online at using a debit card that has a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express logo; personal and business checking and savings accounts; and PayPal accounts. To pay a criminal debt online, go to and type "FLMD" in the search bar.  Select "FLMD CRIMINAL PAYMENT FORM" and continue to the form.