Frequently Asked Questions



How do I get to the Courthouse and the Clerk’s Office? What is your address and phone numbers?

Please refer to the appropriate divisional page for courthouse locations and main phone numbers.

Is this where I get a passport application?

No, passport applications may be obtained at the United States Post Office.

Is this the Naturalization Office?

No. The Court maintains limited Naturalization records, but for most information you must contact the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Contact information is located in the Federal Government section of your local telephone book.

What naturalization records do you have?

The Courts can provide verification of citizenship date and certificate number. We cannot provide a new Petition Certificate. This information is provided by the Immigration and Naturalization Service at your local office or in Miami. For further information you may contact the Immigration and Naturalization Service at 1-800-375-5283.

Where can I get legal advice to help me with my case?

The Clerk’s Office cannot provide you with legal advice. You may contact your local Bar Association or Legal Aid office for assistance in locating an attorney.

How are Judges assigned to a case?

Civil and criminal cases are assigned randomly to a district judge and a magistrate judge at the time of filing through our Automated Case Assignment System.

Who issues and serves the summons?

The clerk signs, dates, and seals the summons. The plaintiff is responsible for preparation and service of the summons and complaint on the defendant. See Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 4.

How can a subpoena be issued in this district for a case pending in another district?

A subpoena must contain the name of the court in which it is being served as well as the case style, number and court in which the case is pending. A subpoena may be signed by a deputy clerk or by an attorney, as an officer of the court. Rule 45 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure provides further information regarding the issuance of subpoenas.

How do I serve legal documents abroad?

Answer: Procedures for foreign service can be obtained by visiting the website for the Bureau of Consular Affairs at Information regarding service of legal documents abroad is found on this website through Law & Policy, then choosing Information for Americans Abroad and Judicial Assistance.

How do I schedule a hearing? What days do the Judges hear motions?

Each Judge maintains his/her own calendar. Hearings will be set or scheduled according to the requirements of each Judge. We do not have a motion day as might occur in other courts.

How long does it take for the judge to rule on my motion? How long will it take until I go to trial?

Each Judge handles her/his own calendar and scheduling. Motions are ruled on in a timely manner. The Clerk’s Office is unable to make predictions on the time required to rule on motions or for a case to go to trial.